Rivelin Valley


Upper Cut Wheel

Wheel and Mill operational from 1749-1930, which became a hotspot for rowing boat-based leisure activities for visitors in the early 20th century after it's closure.

Image


ABOUT UPPER CUT WHEEL


The Upper Cut Wheel and associated water management system, dating from around 1749, had a very long and narrow mill dam. A stream flows from the weir along the head goit (a small man-made channel for transporting water) and along the northern retaining wall of the mill dam.
 
The first record of the Upper Cut Wheel was in a lease of 1749, when the wheel pit had a 4m fall of water. At that time there were recorded as being eight trows (troughs) for use by 13 men. In 1818 it was recorded as being rented by Bradshaw & Co for £7 per year.
 
The Upper Cut Wheel and mill ceased operations around 1930.
 
In the early 20th century rowing boats were available for hire on the mill pond and the many visitors could also enjoy rides on the nearby swing-boats.

What remains now?

About 200m upstream of the Wheel, there is today small bridge marking the inlet to the head goit at the deteriorating low stone weir.
There is a roller assembly on the head goit lintel above a modern shuttle gate.
A footpath runs along the bank between the head goit and the river.
 
Water overflows from the dam into the wheel pit, which provides some of the better remains of such a pit in the Rivelin Valley. The footings and walls of the mill buildings can also be discerned.
 
The dilapidated walls on the north side of the river are the vestiges of former allotments. And stones standing along the edge of the river are the remnants of an old trackway.
 
 

Credits

Rivelin Valley Conservation Group (RVCG) - https://rivelinvalley.org.uk
Sheffield City Council
Image

Back to Rivelin Valley

Click the button above to be transported back to the rivelin valley section of the site.

Onwards to the next article

Click the button above to move on to the next site of cultural importance within Rivelin Valley.