Rivelin Valley


Plonk Wheel

Plonk wheel was operational between 1737-1852 and the wheel was used exclusively for cutlery grinding.

Image


ABOUT PLONK WHEEL


The Plonk Wheel, constructed in 1737,  is located about 30m upstream of the Hind Wheel weir. However this former mill dam is situated on the bank above the trail path and is completely overgrown.
The Plonk Wheel was used for cutlery grinding. However it was completely abandoned by 1852.
 
Records indicate that Joseph Swallow & Thomas Bower built the Plonk Wheel in 1737, and that by 1759 it was supporting four trows (troughs).
 
In 1794 the wheel pit is recorded as having a fall of  about 4m and running five cutlers’ trows, with eight men working there. By 1814 there were seven trows.
 
In 1822 the tenant of the mill was recorded as being Abraham Unwin and, by that time,  two water wheels were recorded as being in service.
 
One of the early names for the Plonk Mill site (Sawbridge Mill) suggests that a saw-mill may have stood here.
Maps from the early 19th century indicate that the tail goit (a small man-made channel for transporting water) from the Swallow Wheel fed water directly into one of two small mill dams which were linked by a culvert through the hillside.
 

What remains now?

Nothing remains of the mill building or tail goit and the site is today completely overgrown. Although remains of the head goit can still be seen in places as a channel between the path and the higher hill slope .
The site has been abandoned for over 150 years and has been partly filled by slippage from the hillside above. The drained mill dam is almost totally silted-up and is submerged by woodland.
 
Credits
Rivelin Valley Conservation Group (RVCG) - https://rivelinvalley.org.uk
Sheffield City Council
Image

Back to Rivelin Valley

Click the button above to be transported back to the rivelin valley section of the site.

Onwards to the next article

Click the button above to move on to the next site of cultural importance within Rivelin Valley.