Rivelin Valley


Nether Cut Wheel

The site was one of the smallest and latest to be built and was used entirely for cutlery and file grinding.

Image


ABOUT NETHER CUT WHEEL


Nether Cut Wheel and associated water management system, dating from around 1719, and being completely rebuilt around 1777, are the remains of a water-powered site that was used for cutlery and scythe grinding.
 
Nether Cut Wheel is one of only a few in the valley that had no weir, the the mill dam being fed directly via the tail goit (a small man-made channel for transporting water)from Upper Cut. It was the last mill in the valley to be operated by a water wheel.
 
The wheel was originally known as Marshall’s Wheel and operated four trows (troughs). However records indicate that by 1794 it had nine trows, employing 15 men.
 
The Sorby family, tool manufacturers who owned large tracts of land around Sheffield, leased the site for many years until 1920, when it moved into the hands of the Kay family who carried on grinding work for the Sorbys.
 
Scythe grinding continued at Nether Cut until at least 1939, and the building survived until 1956.
 

What remains now?

The building was demolished in 1956, with all signs of it removed, however the large mill dam has been preserved for fishing.
 
An artist colony was based at the Rivelin Corn Mill during the 1920s, during which period Nether Cut Wheel was one of the remaining working mills, acting as an inspiration to the artists.
 

Credits

Rivelin Valley Conservation Group (RVCG) - https://rivelinvalley.org.uk
Sheffield City Council
Image

Back to Rivelin Valley

Click the button above to be transported back to the rivelin valley section of the site.

Onwards to the next article

Click the button above to move on to the next site of cultural importance within Rivelin Valley.