Little London Wheel
The site was one of the smallest and latest to be built and was used entirely for cutlery and file grinding.
ABOUT LITTLE LONDON WHEEL
Little London Wheel and associated water management system are the remains of a water-powered site that was used for cutlery and file grinding. It was erected as a cutler’s Wheel in around 1752, and is thought to have been used for cutlery and file grinding until it was demolished in 1911.
Little London Wheel was one of the smallest sites in the Rivelin Valley and one of the later wheels to be built.
The Wheel's history began when, in 1752, Robert Greaves leased part of the stream for 21 years with an annual rent of £1 and the freedom to erect a cutler’s wheel on the site. Later records indicate that In 1794 Thomas Spooner was operating four trows (troughs) in the mill and employing six men.
More recent records indicate that, by 1903, the wheel was in ruins and had been let for a nominal sum to Samuel Dawson, a file grinder, for him to repair. Dawson was recorded as being still there in 1905 but the mill wheel was recorded as unoccupied by 1907 and subsequently demolished in 1911.
What remains now?
The well-preserved overflow is marked by a small bridge but the stonework and remains of the building footings and wheel pit are difficult to discern amongst the undergrowth.
The steep stone weir located immediately upstream of the overgrown mill dam is in fair condition. There is a modern sluice gate on the head goit inlet (a 'goit' being a small man-made channel for transporting water) and remains of a staple can be seen on the lintel.
The stream that now flows through the former mill dam is fed from the Nether Cut tail goit via a culvert, as well as from the river via a short head goit.
Trees now grow in the former mill dam, which is largely dry apart from a stream running through from the head goit entry to the overflow.
Rivelin Valley Conservation Group (RVCG) - https://rivelinvalley.org.uk
Sheffield City Council