Rivelin Valley

Holme Head Wheel

A site that was used from 1725-1922, having both a water wheel and a mill that were used for cutlery & tool production.



Holme Head Wheel and associated water management system date from the 1740s and are the remains of a water-powered site that was used for grinding mainly knives and razors.
The first record for this valley location is for a lease to Nicholas Morton & William Shaw dated 1742. It was subsequently taken over by Spooners, and by 1794, Cadman & Co (razor makers) were operating 11 trows (troughs) and employing 15 men.
The building was disused, still in good condition in 1936, but subsequently demolished, so now only a few remains of the building, wheel pit and the wheel spindle, together with the weir and mill dam, can still be seen.
The remains of the Holme Head wheel pit and workshop are nevertheless some of the best in the Rivelin Valley. The mill dam still holds water.

What remains now?

The steep, convex stone weir is deteriorating at the north end. Rusted remains of the capstan & roller of the head goit (a small man-made channel for transporting water) shuttle mechanism survive.
The mill dam is quite large and mostly overgrown, although still holds water. A roller survives on the overflow stonework. The water is culverted beneath the footpath and flows into the river through a small stone arch.
The tail goit runs in a culvert beneath the path before emerging into the river just above the modern stepping stones, initially separated from the river by edge-set slabs joined by wrought-iron straps.
The mill dam, quite large and mostly overgrown, now provides a haven for wildlife.


Rivelin Valley Conservation Group (RVCG) - https://rivelinvalley.org.uk
Sheffield City Council

Back to Rivelin Valley

Click the button above to be transported back to the rivelin valley section of the site.

Onwards to the next article

Click the button above to move on to the next site of cultural importance within Rivelin Valley.